Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Corey, the Master Snake Handler

Corey got to go to an exciting school assembly last week. The assembly was really just for 6th graders but Corey's speech teacher found out how much Corey loved snakes and she asked if she could take Corey to the program. Jeff Hartwig, who is also a record holding pole vaulter, is in the business of raising and selling snakes. His whole basement is filled with snake cages and other reptiles. I guess every year he brings a few friends to show off to the Valley View 6th graders.

Corey's speech teacher said that Corey touched every snake but did not let Jeff put the snake around his shoulders. I guess that was alittle too creepy.

Corey said that Jeff let the snakes crawl all around the cafeteria.

A monitor lizard - I think


Corey was telling me all about the snakes and lizards and then he said that the big yellow snake struck at a teacher and bit her. I said that I am sure that it didn't really bite her but he insisted that it did. Well, Barry came home and said that in fact the snake did bite a teacher and that they took her to the hospital because it was bleeding so much. Yikes!! It is good that Corey went to see the show this year because after the biting incident I don't know if they will do it again. The teacher is fine Corey said because the snake was not "venomous".

2 comments:

Finn and Tracey Family said...

That must of been so cool for Corey! Was he freaked out when he saw the snake bite the teacher? Wow - those snakes were huge!!! Who took the photos? What a wonderful Speech teacher to go beyond your duty for Corey.

Anonymous said...

Good thing Corey the snake expert was there to make sure the teacher was ok.